Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

4:03:00 PM cc 0 Comments



 I may be a little late to watch this but its finally out on DVD and BD so I can rent this to watch it at home. I have heard some mixed feelings with it so I wasn't expecting too much from this movie. I am just a casual Star Wars fan who enjoyed the original trilogy so I don't really bother with the books or other media that isn't a big box movie. In the timeline, this movie sets right before the original trilogy and basically is the story of how the Rebellion got the Deathstar plans. I've actually enjoyed this movie more than Force Awakens to my surprised. As a warning there will be spoilers so please turn back if don't want that.



 As I watched this movie, I was not expecting it to maintain so much of the look and feel of the original trilogy. There are probably Star Wars fans who love it or hate it, and for me I love it. While some of the seemingly outdated and out of fashion may look silly, the nostalgia as well as the need to be consistent with the original trilogy is enough for me to not feel its out of place among the other more modern and polished part of the movie. Some of the dialogue, humor, and even the action scenes do feel like it follows the original trilogy as well which I love.

 The movie is about 2 hours and 10 minutes long. The story follows a girl name Jyn who is the daughter of the Empire's weapon developer. He's the one who made the weapon on the Deathstar, but he isn't doing it willingly as he supports the rebellion. He explains why the Deathstar has the weakness that it has. Jyn gets rescued by rebellions who recognizes who she is and wants her help. The rebellion not-Han Solo like character is Cassian who has an android partner name K-2SO. The android is like C-3PO but more cynical. I find him to be quite entertaining. Some people didn't seem to like how human he is which I think most people would think that at first. I've too thought that but I grew to really like him and didn't care how human like he is. There are also three more men that join their cause: a blind warrior, a mercenary that's with the blind guy, and a imperial pilot. I saw some people think there's no character development, but there is. They all find their own reason to continue to fight and not just give in like cowards or be submissive. I think this is the right kind of approach since I wasn't expecting them to make it out alive throughout the movie, but that didn't make me not root for them. I did expect some romance from Jyn and Cassian, but thankfully it didn't go that far. While they may not be the most compelling characters, I did not find them boring so I'm fine with it. They all have their own personalities and I'm glad there's some race variety. Another thing I didn't expect is how much of the characters from the original trilogy they put into this. Figured it be pretty stand alone, but it did bring back characters in a different way. They used CGI to bring Tarkin and Leia as they were in the original trilogy. They look quite real but knowing that both actors are dead does make it seem weird to see their characters like this. I was more impressed with them than thinking how off they look. They would look better in screenshots, but when they move its a bit more clearer that its a bit unnatural.

 These Star Wars films are usually about going through some horrible stuff, but still have hope. I think the movie did a decent job of building things up and giving tension. I was invested enough to try to hold onto my bladder for as long as I could to see what happens. Overall, I was quite satisfied with this movie. This movie would probably appeal to older Star Wars fans that want more of that old look the most. I feel someone new to Star Wars may get lost. Hard to say if I would recommend it, but I think its worth a shot if the trailers made you interested at all.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: