Frigidaire 5000 BTU Mini Window Air Conditioner

12:30:00 AM cc 0 Comments

I bought this locally last year and had it all set up. This was the only ac unit that can fit in my window. It worked great and quickly cooled my room. My room is rather small and gets rather stuffy plus its gets lots of sunlight. Its not loud, but it is noisy. Too noisy for me to sleep through. I have issues with this unit in keeping the temperature at a comfortable level in my room. It makes my room a tad too cold for me even in the low settings. The unit does automatically turn itself off (but leaves the fan on) and then turns back on when the room gets hotter. I dislike this since the noise startles me when it starts back up again. I know its lame, but I dislike it.

An issue I had was that bugs were somehow finding a way in through the unit. By fall, when I took it out to clean it I saw that there was tons of leaves, bugs, and spiders chilling out inside the unit. Really gross. The part of the unit that goes outside has many openings, and only the back has a screen. There are trees and my neighbor's garden outside my window. And we do get storms every now and then. This year I'm taping a cheesecloth over the openings to keep the bugs and debris out. I have noticed that bugs can find its way through the side panels. I used tissues and tape to cover the cracks. My curtains are see through so I had to use cardboard to block the light during the night to keep bugs away. Its not flawless, but its an improvement from last year. The tape will trap the bugs if they manage to crawl in so it will get nasty over time.

The ac did come with a strip of foam to line your window with and some screws. I've already misplaced the screws, but they are flat ended and won't go through your window though they will still dent it.

The temperature settings is odd. There are two dials one is temperature numbered by coolness and the second is modes of fan or cooling on high or low. Personally I only feel two levels of coolness so I find the temperature control is not accurate. On cool mode anything under level 5 just feels like the fan. The noise it makes when its cooling is louder than the fan, and cooling doesn't turn on unless you go above level 5. But it seems to depend on the temperature of the room. On really hot days the cooling starts on level 4 too. The temperature doesn't make any difference in fan mode. The fan helps circulate the air, but doesn't do much cooling. Its definitely better used to distribute the cold air produced by the unit into the room. The cool air is a lot colder than the fan so its a noticeable difference. So far the air smells pretty clean, and hadn't need to clean the filter yet.

For being probably the cheapest ac window unit in the market, this isn't too bad and it does it job. I would recommend it. I will update this post when summer is over.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: