PC Troubleshooting

2:22:00 AM cc 0 Comments

 I had a near scare last week when my computer suddenly didn't work like usual. I have fixed it so I wanted to share my experience. While I may not be an expert in computer repair, I have developed some methods I use to tackle critical computer problems (BSOD) I would get. Some of you may know all or some of these already, or maybe you know better methods. If so please leave a comment! I'd like to know about it.

First step: Scan your computer for viruses with antivirus software and for malware with malwarebyte. Whether you use a paid or free antivirus, or even Windows Defender, keep it up to date regularly. Also scan your computer regularly, whether its daily, weekly, monthly, or even bi-monthly. You may need to go to Safe Mode like I had to in order to scan your computer. Please google whatever OS you're using for how to access Safe Mode. If the scans detected nothing then go to the next step.


Second step: Open Command Prompt as Admin.Be sure the 3rd line has that C:WINDOWS systemy32 line. This is indicating that you are on a certain folder. Then type in sfc /scannow
This will start a scanning process that will go through your computer and fix any errors. Sometimes or even all the time, it would find something but couldn't fix it. I don't usually go through the effort of looking at the document it makes of said errors. I feel this is like doing maintenance for a computer. I had to use this often on a computer that I think has a dying HD, but the scan had kept it going while I looked for a replacement. So I would suggest doing this scan somewhat regularly as well. Though if this didn't fix your problem ...

Third step: Windows has a system recovery options where it opens at the startup of turning a computer on. In older versions you just had to press like F8 or something at the logo to get on it, but now its changed so please Google what it is in your OS. It may have different names as well, but it essentially has the option of getting on Safe Mode, opening command prompt, system restore, and startup repair. Startup repair may have other names, but that is what its called on Windows 8.1. This another repair scan. Go to the next step if this doesn't fix anything.

Fourth step: System Restore is not really a backup, but it records what your computer is at that time. Its like a time machine. Please Google your OS to find where it is. If you are going to do this, I would recommend recording things you have now cause you will loose them. This doesn't affect files, but if you have tabs opened or saved, you may lose them if you didn't have them before the Restore point.
If the problem still continues, try the earlier steps to see if they will fix it, if not then ...

Fifth step: Refresh/Reset. At this point, you may have to consider resetting your computer. Luckily, in Windows 8.1 there is a Refresh option which reinstalls Windows without losing your files. While I may have to reinstall my programs again, it is a whole lot better than backing up my many files or worse getting a new computer. So be sure to write a list of your programs, and saving whatever you want a backup for like bookmarks, login, etc. I usually have an external HD for this, but you could also use a Cloud service as well. If you are resetting, obviously backup everything or whatever you find important before it. Resetting will put your computer back to its factory settings meaning it will be like you have a new computer. If this step of reinstalling Windows didn't solve your issue then ....

Sixth step: Your problem maybe a hardware issue than a software one. You may go to forums and ask and see if anyone has solutions if you still think its a issue of the digital kind rather than the physical kind. If not, then you will need to replace whatever it is that is broken or dying. Since my computer usually gets BSOD or other major problems after using them for a few years, I would just buy a new computer at that point. If you are tight on money, I know this may not be the best thing to hear which is why I would recommend emergency savings. Please don't throw your computer in the trash or keep it in your house to collect dust. Find a place locally that will recycle it or you may try selling it on ebay for its parts. Be sure to deal with the hard drive and take it out if you are selling ir ot donating it. If you think a factory reset is enough to wipe your personal data than that's up to you. There are software that will do hard drive wipes as well but be in mind it may not always be 100%. You can also just hammer the hard disk but its still not 100% safe. Places like Staples will take your computers to recycle for free, and you can even look up the company brand of you computer and see if they have a recycling program as well.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: