Using Ikea SOCKER as a display case

7:04:00 PM cc 0 Comments


 When I went to Ikea, I saw this thing on the display floor and thought it would be perfect to put my Free figmas in. I saw some people make wonderful and creative rooms and homes for figmas on twitter, and it really inspired me. However, the cost to go into that was a little too much. I originally was just going to DIY everything with cardboard, but seeing this from Ikea just made everything easier.

Yes, it is a greenhouse, but who cares. Its in the shape of a house, and the simple design makes it a nice obstruction free view of whatever I put in it. This greenhouse is pretty affordable at $20. Setting it up was pretty easy too, though there was one part that wasn't fitting into the slot. It was an easy fix with a metal file though. The panels are not made of glass, but of plastic or acrylic I really can't tell the difference. The greenhouse isn't 100% enclosed. The base is like a tray and is not attached to the rest of the greenhouse. You can take the rest of the greenhouse off the base, and it doesn't sit flush against the base when you put it back together. Also the opening on the top part of the greenhouse don't sit flush either because of the hinges.

As for size, it is a little tall, but its a pretty decent size room for figmas. I am getting my first 1/6 doll from Azone sometime this year so I will see how that fits in this greenhouse. I think it has great decorating potential. I am too lazy to do it, but I think it be easy to add in flooring and wallpaper. Possibly printed and pasted on cardboard or something and just stick it to the sides. And with the clear panels. it be like actual windows.  Again, this thing has lots of potential! I just wanted to share this idea with everyone, and hope maybe I'll see someone do something neat with it on twitter.

I did recently noticed some new things from Ikea too online. One is this doll house shelf that I think has some potential since it has rooms and seems like a decent size. There is also an actual display box with LED lighting. Now these last two products are in the childrens' section and are about $30. I've also seen people use RIBBA wall frames to display things like legos mostly. RIBBA frames only have the depths of 1 3/4" which isn't a lot of room, but there is a new kind of frame I saw called KASSEBY which has 3 1/4" in depth. I could fit miniatures in that. I've seen that people make DIY shelves for RIBBA frames too which is also a neat idea!

Anyways, these are alternative ways to display items without using big expensive shelving units like bookcases and display cases. Its good for those who don't have that much stuff in the first place nor the room for shelves.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: