How to make toasted sweet rice cake (kiri mochi)

10:04:00 PM cc 0 Comments


So I've seen on youtube people using and eating these hard square blocks of mochi. They would heat it up over a fire like marshmallows, toast them in a toaster oven, put them in soups or waffle makers, and dipped them in soy sauce. They looked really good since I am tired of mochi ice cream and regular filled mochi. Sadly there isn't a place around me that sells them. So I opt to just making them.

I figured they're just regular mochi so I used a recipe from Cookingwithdog:

50g mochiko flour (sweet rice flour)
60g sugar (adjust sugar to your liking)
100ml water
potato or corn starch for dusting (kind of optional)

Mix flour and sugar together in a microwave safe container or bowl. Then add the water in parts and mix it well.

Then cover the container and microwave for 2 minutes. Carefully mix the dough till smooth. Then microwave it again for 40 seconds. Mix till glossy. It will be very very sticky! You can transfer the dough to another container if you want. Dust the dough with starch to make it easier to handle.

You must refrigerate it for 30 minutes or so. It will harden a bit, but nothing like the blocks. You can freeze it too. Once harden you can cut it up to pieces and toast them in the toaster oven. The crispy outside edge and chewy warm inside is more appetizing than roasted marshmallows to me.


Recently I just learned that the blocks are called kiri mochi. I never had them before so I have no idea if they are sweet or plain tasting. I do see there are listed on Amazon as well so maybe I will actually buy some and try it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: