Daily Harvest

1:47:00 PM cc 0 Comments



 Daily Harvest is a subscription box service that delivers to you cups of frozen ingredients that can be blended up to make smoothies, ice creams, and lattes. They also have savory options for soups, side dishes, oatmeal, and parfaits. The ingredients are mainly organic, healthy, and simple. They use quite a bit of superfoods too so their selection is quite unique to me. Each cup costs about $7-8 and you can get 3 cups free in your first box with our link!

 They offer weekly boxes of 6 to 24 cups, or a monthly box of 24 cups. The website gives you the ability to changes your plans and even add more plans. There is a page called Upcoming Delivers where you can edit your future boxes up to 9 weeks ahead, and you can also skip a week in the same page. Pausing your subscription is an option as well, but its a bit hard to find. You need to go to My Plan > Manage Plan > Plan Status > Change Plan Status > Pause this Plan. You can also edit the delivery day, but for me I am limited to Wednesday and Thursday. My card gets charged on Saturday, and I get a shipping notification email on Monday night. They are shipped from New Jersey through Fedex.

 The service doesn't provide everything you need. The smoothies and other blended options require a liquid to blend the frozen ingredients with. This will at least let you choose the kind of milk or juice you want.Obviously you will need a blender to make the smoothies and such. You also need liquid for the oatmeal and chia parfaits. The savory options also require water or broth, and you will need a saucepan or microwave to heat them up. No meat is included so you can add meat or other vegetables to make them heartier.



 The first box I bought I filled it with all smoothies. They all stayed frozen in the box and packed in a padded lined bag with dry ice on the bottom. The cups were slightly bigger than I thought they be. The site didn't mention how big the cups were and from the photos I thought they looked small. Each cup has a clear plastic seal and a black plastic lid with a straw opening. The box also came with a card saying to place your cups in the freezer. and a sheet of magnets. The first smoothie I tried is Apple + Greens. I used water as my liquid and since my blender is a commercial type Vitamix I knew it will blend it pretty well. Consistency isn't of course going to be creamy or the smoothest with water but that's fine with me. Honestly, I probably could have added a banana to give it some sweetness and a creamier texture but I didn't have any on hand. The Apple + Greens isn't a sweet smoothie, the greens and ginger comes through the strongest which I like. The next smoothie I tried is Strawberries + Peaches, and this time I used almond milk as the liquid. It takes nearly a minute for it to blend everything, but it came out much creamier than the Apple + Greens + water smoothie. It is also sweeter but it is pretty mildly sweet. The almond milk I used is unsweetened and not flavored. Third smoothie I had is Banana + Greens with almond milk. The sweetness of the banana with the nuttiness of the almond milk does make this smoothie tasty. Fourth smoothie is Pineapple + Matcha which has a more coconut flavor than pineapple or matcha. The pineapple took like 2/3 of the cup but the pineapple is mild in taste and didn't give the smoothie much sweetness. I used almond milk as the liquid and a bit of water and it make it less thick. The matcha came in tiny cubes at the bottom and there wasn't many. I don't think this is worth $8 since its mostly pineapples, but its not bad tasting even for someone like me who isn't that into coconut. Next smoothie I had is the Mango + Greens which tastes like the other greens smoothie. The greens taste is the strongest than the fruit. And the last smoothie is the Watermelon + Cucumber with almond milk. This is quite a refreshing summery tasting drink with the seeds as the only downside.

 The contents in the cup does easily come out of the cups, but it will come out as one solid mass. Breaking that mass down into small chunks with help your blender do its job, and less likely of getting a chunk that didn't get blended. Using milk of any kind definitely helps with the texture and taste of these smoothies, but using water or any watery kind of liquid is fine though I'd advise not filling it to the top of the cup but use less to avoid getting an overly watery smoothie. These smoothies are very very light in sweetness and taste compare to smoothies you'd get at shops. So get sweetened milk or juice to up the sweetness and taste. I feel these smoothies would be worth it if it came with everything and I didn't have to supplement it.




 I will keep updating this post as I get more boxes and try out more cups!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: