Diva Cup

4:33:00 PM cc 0 Comments

I've been hearing about these menstrual cups for awhile now, and was very hesitant about trying it. For one I never saw these in stores so I had no idea how big these were, and also if it will work for me. The divacup is $25 too so its not the kind of money I want to waste if it doesn't work out. However, after sometime I decided to try it and bought it on amazon in time for my period. Except, my period came two weeks late.

So while I had the product I look at the livejournal community for menstrual cups that everyone recommended, and learned quite a few things that I wish I've known before purchasing the divacup. I did a dry run and learned its not easy to insert and remove it as I had assumed. When my period finally came, I decided to try to insert it in the shower and that was even harder to achieve. I left it in throughout the night and woke up with little spotting, and cramps. I figured I must have positioned it wrong since the cup wasn't full. Trying to remove the cup is quite an exercise for your kegel muscles. Its definitely much easier to insert and remove the cup during your period than in the dry runs. However I was feeling quite uncomfortable and crampy so it worried me. Thought it was just me getting use to it, or perhaps a normal cramp? One of the things I had to do alot more was inserting my fingers, and I had to do it so often for the cup that I've gotten use to it. I'm still in the learning curve and have learned alot about myself and menstrual cups throughout my first period with it. It was frustrating and frightening because of the mild cramps and uncomfortableness. The people in the livejournal community suggests that its crutial to know where your cervix is. I was hesitant about it since I had no idea what it would feel like or if I'll feel it at all. But I got myself to go find it and I think I did. It was lower than I thought, and figured the cup must be too long since it is the longest cup out of all the other cups according to the info on the community. From there I learned to try to use the cup inside out. I was afraid that I'd have a hard time removing it because there's no stem, but it wasn't. I still had discomfort but not as much as before. Although this made me leak more than before so I think the cup wasn't opened fully. I wanted to try other folds, but all of them I had issues inserting except the punch down fold. Plus I was afraid of how it would open up once I insert them. Had to let my fingers go cause I couldn't insert them with the cup which resulted in the cup opening too soon which hurt. I continue to feel discomfort and crampy so I had to discontinue using the cup.

When my second period came, I inserted the cup inside out with little difficulty. But I was leaking an hour later so I had to remove it. Except I had a very frustrating time removing it because I couldn't reach the knob with both my fingers with the bone in the way. After alot of kegel muscles, I finally was able to remove it. I re-inserted it in the normal form instead of inside out and was alot easier after the removal difficulty. I didn't feel it open but I heard some suction so I assume it opened up unlike before. I was feeling a bit of discomfort, but after 30mins to an hour along with some kegel muscles exercise I no longer feel discomfort or cramps! And no leaks! Finally!

On my 3rd period, I used it at night on the first day since I was having cramps during the day I didn't want to put on the cup. Inserting has gotten easier this time, and removal is good as long as I cut my nails and take my time.  Its good to take your time or else it would hurt or do it incorrectly. I've gotten to get my fingers inside this time so I don't have to do too much work to insert it. However I still use the punch down fold so I couldn't let the fold open half way since the widest part is closer to the stem end. Also I am able to insert it in the shower now too. Earlier I feared that this cup would be too big for me, but now it feels comfortable. I still would not use it through my entire period since I'm not a fan or use to inserting and removing it a few times a day.

Overall, I think this is a great product especially for night use. It is frightening at first and it does take a long time to finally be get use to it, but I have learned alot as a woman. Plus I do not have to worry about staining anything anymore. I advise going to the community and reading up on menstrual cups and people's experiences before buying one. It really has made that time of the month less hassle.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: