Cook Unity

3:15:00 AM cc 0 Comments

 


 I decided to try this out since I've been getting their ads rather often as well as other meal delivery boxes. What got me to subscribe was their selection of asian dishes. I had a 50% first order offer but this was sadly only on the first box. I decided to just get a 8 meal box just to try them out. I didn't want to get their largest box since I didn't know if I'd like their food enough to get that many even though it be a better deal.

 

Price

The prices are a bit high! Each meal is around $11-14 depending on how many you get in a box. And they add on a $15 fee to the total. So its not much cheaper than eating at a restaurant or getting doordash. And you don't get a lot. Its probably about 1 cup amount of food so its not going to make you feel stuffed.


Taste

This is by far the most delicious ready made meals I've had! They do taste like restaurant quality meals. They're not frozen either and the sleeves do say when they are packed, but not when they were cooked. Most of the meals I've tried are on the salty side. One Thai dish I had even has MSG as a ingredient. I don't mind salty, but it is weird how these are suppose to be made by different chefs and yet all make it salty? 

You got about one week to eat it, or you can freeze it! They freeze fine, but I would advise not freezing dishes that have sauces like sour cream that don't freeze well. I frozen a burrito that had sour cream and I think salsa which didn't thaw or reheat well so I had to throw away the sauces. Do be sure to read the cooking instructions since some may contain a sauce that needs to be taken out before microwaving!! I do feel foods like burritos or anything with a tortilla should be cooked in a oven or else the tortilla will be soggy. So do pick your meals carefully if you don't have access to an oven when you plan to eat these meals at. So for me I eat these at work so I would need to eat the burrito at home.


Delivery

I've seen comments on reddit saying that their food arrived with broken seals. Luckily, all my food arrived safely and undamaged. These were shipped from NYC and I live about 4 hour drive from there so it usually takes one day for packages to arrive from there. They used Fedex, and somehow it got delayed. I picked Tuesday as my delivery date, but it came in on Wednesday instead. It still arrived cold-ish and I was home when it came so I was able to put it all in the fridge right away. The seal on these tray are pretty easy to remove so I can see how they can be damaged. But my box was packed well. The insulation is thick and the meals fit snug inside the box. They used cardboard to layer in between the meals and ice. I don't live in a city and they delivery folks in my area have been pretty good at handling our packages well. I don't think I ever had them deliver anything that came broken! So this may depend on your area and how the delivery drivers handle packages.


Overall

I would like to keep getting CookUnity because it is tasty and they have SO MANY OPTIONS! There's hundreds of meals and add ons that you can choose from. However, it is out of my budget. When I go to cancel my sub, I put my reason down as Price and they did offer a 30% discount for the next 4 boxes, but still its a bit too much, There's also a expiration date on the offer which I don't like. I like being able to pause/skip as much as I can and not lose that deal! Perhaps if they ever do a come back offer, I may use it to order again. But right now, 30% isn't enough as its still nearly $100 for 8 meals. I sadly do not make enough money to justify this! So I would recommend this meal service IF you can afford it!

I recently got a Come Back email offer and its only 30% off the next four orders so its still the same as the canceling offer sadly. Wish it was a bit lower!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: