Hannibal (TV)

2:05:00 AM cc 0 Comments

Saw that the first season was on Amazon Prime so I wanted to check this out since I've heard it was good. I have to admit it was not what I expected. I'm not all very familiar with Hannibal other than cannibalism and murder. The show is based off of the novel Red Dragon. The story follows Will Graham and he has the gift of pure empathy that helps him in his job to profile the murderer.

The show and the book are not at all the same. The show does take the book and went to a whole new level with these characters. Hannibal turns out to be Will's psychiatrist, and its quite predictable where this was going. Though the way Hannibal is written and acted so quite interesting, and its a nice contrast to the other killers in the show. Hannibal's actor, Mads Mikkelsens, is really perfect for this role.

The crime and murder part of the show wasn't all that thought provoking, but the psychological talk is quite thought provoking. The dialogue is really nice in this show. The gore in this show is quite artistic for what it is. It didn't bother me at all even though the murders were quite gross. Even Will's hallucinations were quite interesting, and I don't really find them that disturbing.

The first season was on the predictable side, but it was a nice ride. I do plan on watching the second season as well. I noticed all the episode names in the first season are French cuisine terms, and in the second season are Japanese cuisine terms which is a really nice touch in my opinion. I will update this post when I finished watching season two!

------

As stated earlier, this is about my impression of season 2 after I have watched it. Quite a lot of things happened. Its not as predictable as the first season. Although it has given hints and even a sneak peak of whats the come quite early on. I did ended up forgetting those hints when the time comes. The Will Graham in season is almost a totally different person after the way season 1 ended. But I will speak no more about it.

Luckily the far out symbolic hallucinations are not as prevalent, but they actually play quite a deal to Will's mindset. The crimes in this season might be a little hard to stomach compare to season 1. Thankfully they're not as important as the relationship between Will and Hannibal is. The characters are getting quite a bit of focus since the relationship between these characters and the main characters is important to the story. That even includes the murderers. There's actually sex scenes, but they are a bit unsettling. 

I don't even know what to say about the way this season ended. All I can say is that there is no happy ending. Well nothing is happy in this series so I guess expecting it would be naive. Season 3 is confirmed so I am curious how they will take this.

The show is quite intriguing, and after seeing both seasons I think I'm finally gotten quite use to the gore-y images. Still not something I can eat dinner while watching. I can eat a salad while watching it though, haha.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: